Unbiased Comparison between Wigs vs Hair Transplant
Baldness, scientifically known as androgenetic alopecia is amongst the common problems affecting both men and women globally. The cause of hair loss in men and women can be multitudinous such as- hormonal changes, thyroid, anaemia, protein deficiency, low vitamin levels, a result of heredity, or as a part of normal aging. Since alopecia impacts the physical appearance of a person, it affects their armour proper profoundly. Hair has been associated with feminineness and appeal in women, and youth and dynamism in men since ages. Therefore, baldness or alopecia is a sensitive concern for both men and women that leads to psychological stress and therefore needs immediate medical attention.
Ever since Dermatology and Trichology have triumphed, treating hair loss is no longer as challenging. Two of the most widely preferred hair restoration options are- wigs and hair transplant, both of which come with their share of advantages and disadvantages.
Let us look into both of the processes individually to get a better insight:
Available in a wide range of colour, style, length, and density, Hair Replacement System or a wig is an instant solution to help people don a natural-looking hair.
- Wigs can either be made of human hair or other synthetic material such as lace or polyurethane.
- A budget-friendly option preferred commonly by patients undergoing chemotherapy.
- Wigs aren’t time- consuming as they change your appearance instantly.
- The plethora of options in terms of style and colours make wigs more appealing.
- They can be removed as and when required.
- Only the wigs made of human hair can be styled with a blow dryer, and straightened or curled with the necessary equipment.
- To maintain the lustre and natural look of your wig, it is mandatory for you to care for your wig ardently and frequently.
- Wearing a wig has seen to impact hairline and natural hair growth.
- They can be uncomfortable especially during hot weather.
A procedure that is performed surgically under local anesthesia that is done by extracting hair follicles from the sides and back of a scalp, and grafted on the balding areas of the scalp.
- Hair transplant is your go-to option if you are looking for a more natural outlook. Since this process involves grafting your natural hair on the balding areas, these hair strands will eventually grow naturally, giving you a more original look.
- Hair transplant is considered to be a permanent procedure and a one-time solution to get rid of balding.
- Unlike maintaining a wig, the maintenance pressure is minimal as caring for transplanted hair is same as caring for your natural hair.
- Hair transplant is comparatively painful and can often cause swelling, bruising or even headaches. It also involves the risk of infection, scarring, nerve damage and other complications.
- The usual recovery time for hair transplant is about 8 to 10 months.
- Hair transplant procedures are not generally suitable for women.