5 Treatments to Say Goodbye to Stretch Marks
What are stretch marks?
We are all familiar with the preconceived horror of stretch marks. Like all other skin abnormalities such as acne marks, cellulite and others, stretch marks are stubborn lines that can be a nightmare for some women. Our skin, as we know is the largest organ of our body and has the ability to contract and expand. This elastic property of the skin sometimes leads to damage in the underlying connective tissues supporting the skin. Therefore, if the middle layer of the skin gets stretched too much, it leads to the breakage of the collagen fibres, thereby making the blood vessels visible through the skin, leaving purple or red marks on the skin that we call stretch marks. A common notion we have of stretch marks occurring specifically during pregnancy is not completely true. Although 90% of women get stretch marks during pregnancy, it can be a result of other bodily changes such as puberty, change in body weight, and muscle building.
Home remedies to treat stretch marks
Proper use of natural ingredients such as olive oil, almond oil, and cocoa butter help get rid of stretch marks at home. Another easy way to say goodbye to stretch marks is by exfoliating your skin at regular intervals. Exfoliation helps remove not only the dead skin from the body but also the stretch marks. Another budget-friendly option to eradicate stretch marks is by applying certain dermatologist-prescribed ointments and creams that are easily available at any pharmacy. The widely used cream to remove stretch marks is Retin-A which contains 0.1 percent tretinoin cream that helps reduce the marks in some cases. Tretinoin can penetrate through the upper layer of the skin and help rebuild collagen thereby diminishing early stretch marks. However, it should not be used by pregnant or nursing women.
Clinical remedies to treat stretch marks
- Laser Treatment: One of the recent and most-effective methods to treat stretch marks is laser therapy. As per this procedure, the laser is passed through the skin that triggers regeneration, stimulating the tissues surrounding the stretch marks to produce melanin that helps activate the pigmentation cells in the skin. As a result, the marks blend with the normal skin tone.
- Cosmetic Surgery: Although it is an expensive option, cosmetic surgery is the permanent solution to remove stretch marks from your body. Abdominoplasty commonly known as a tummy tuck is one of the surgical procedures that help remove stretch marks as well as excess fat and skin from your abdomen, giving you a more firm appearance.
- Platelet-rich Plasma: This therapy is amongst the latest advancements of cosmetology that can effectively rejuvenate your skin and accentuate collagen and elastin production.
- Microdermabrasion: Targeting epidermis, the upper layer of the skin, this procedure is done by spraying minute exfoliating crystals on the affected area or a specially designed tipped wand to rub over the area. Then, with the help of the wand-like device, the crystals are removed from the skin taking the dead cells along. However, the effectiveness of the procedure will depend on the severity of the stretch marks on your body. Also, you need to undergo more than one treatment for better results. There may also be some side-effects such as redness or dry skin that would heal due to exfoliation that should heal within 24 hours post-procedure.
- Microneedlig: According to this procedure, the middle layer of your skin, also known as the dermis is targeted. According to this procedure, needles are used to poke the skin to trigger the production of collagen that in turn helps remove stretch marks, making your skin appear healthier. For effective results, you need to undergo more than one treatment.
It is highly recommended to undergo the above-mentioned procedures post consultation with your doctor.